I found this… Was weird because I treated many of his patients and I think one recognized me in the waiting room! Every patient should have a list like this whenever visiting their doctor! Make sure your concerns are addressed! Doctors are very busy so there may not be time for small talk! PRINT OUT 2 COPIES: A COPY FOR YOURSELF AND A COPY FOR THE DOCTOR TO KEEP IN YOUR FILE. MAKE SURE THE DOCTOR KNOWS YOUR CONCERNS!
I. Current Symptoms (it’s in your chart but make sure they know!)
All the time: left sided facial numbness, left sided tongue numbness, loss of appetite, malaise, clumsiness can’t walk a straight line
Occasional: Nausea and vomiting, lightheadedness (when working out), headaches (with increasing intra-abdominal pressure)
ACTIVITIES THAT BRING ON SYMPTOMS:
With quick movements: headaches (also when changing positions/levels), dizziness
- What is the prognosis? I’m very concerned about the cranial nerves, with the basic body functions and the blood supply to the cerebrum, cerebellum, and brain stem.
- What specific procedures can be done to take this thing out? Will the entire thing be able to be removed? How much damage will be done to the cranial nerves/vascular tissue during the procedure?
- How common is this tumor? How did it grow so big? What was the blood supply for the tumor/what “fed it”? How long do you think it’s been there?
- I’ve been having dizziness with exertion, Should I worry about the carotids or any other arteries that supply the brainstem or cerebrum. The last 2 really bad dizzy spells I had came with running ~5-6 miles. Are there any vascular tissues affected with the tumor location? I also notice dizziness/lightheadedness when working out.
- Was the cerebellum (or vestibular nuclei in the pons) also affected? My coordination has been off for a few months.
- How long is the rehab? What kind of lingering effects should I expect? Timelines?
- Once it is out, is there a chance for relapse? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again? What caused the tumor/where did it come from?
- Am I now at risk for new tumors to pop up?
- When can a procedure be scheduled? I really need my parents from Michigan to be here for me.
- When can I return to surfing, triathlons, work? Is there anything I should avoid post-op?